Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Special oatmeal

Untitled

Texture is important in food. My least favorite textures are slimy and gluey. Can't stand anything that's along those lines, and thus, sadly, oatmeal is often not an option. It can really become gluey - especially the quick-cook kind.

So, we're not big oatmeal eaters in my family. However, I like the general idea, and when I was home with the kids a few days ago, I decided to try a heartier option. I used Swedish "havrekross" which translates into crushed oats - I think it's rather similar to steel-cut oats, though. It needs to soak over night, and then cook for about twenty minutes. So perhaps not the quickest of breakfast options, but pretty darn delicious. I added brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and an apple. Happy to report it wasn't the least bit gluey.

Despite that, the kids certainly didn't go for it, so I tried to trick them by turning some of the leftovers into oatmeal pancakes. How that went? Wait and see...

Special oatmeal
serves 4

250 ml havrekross or steel-cut oats
750 ml water
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 apple, coarsely grated (no need to peel beforehand)

Start the night before by combining the oats and water, and letting it sit at room temperature overnight.

Then, heat until boiling. Lower the heat to medium-low and add salt, sugar and the vanilla powder. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the texture is the way you want it. My oats retained some bite - I could have cooked them for longer, but I rather liked them chewy. Add the cinnamon and apple, and cook for a few more minutes.

Serve, with more cinnamon and brown sugar if you'd like. Some toasted nuts would also be great. 

No comments: